- This event has passed.
Cooking Techniques Roasting
March 24, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$70
COOKING TECHNIQUE ROASTING
Roasting and baking are very similar in that they are dry cooking methods that utilize dry heated air surrounding the food to cook it in an oven. Their primary difference lies in the fact that roasting applies to proteins, whereas baking generally applies to vegetables, starches, breads, and pastries. In principle, roasting meats is a simple procedure. The prepared cut of meat is placed in an oven at a selected temperature and removed when it is done. There are many variables on the finer points of roasting, and chefs often disagree about proper roasting techniques. In this section we will discuss the basic steps for roasting.
Class attendees will learn the following:
- The essentials of the roasting method
- Equipment needed
- Appropriate proteins and meat cuts
- Optional components such as barding and larding for this technique
- Preparing pan gravy
- Challenges and possible pitfalls while executing
- Proper mise en place (preparation) is essential for all cooking methods.