- This event has passed.
Cooking Techniques Grilling and Broiling
July 21, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$70
COOKING TECHNIQUE – GRILLING AND BROILING
Considered two of the oldest forms of cooking, broiling and grilling require cooking close to a radiant heat or open flame. Broiling means that the heat is applied from above, and in grilling the heat is applied from below.
These two dry-heat cooking methods are primarily used for a la minute, or cooked to order, items.
Grilling allows the drippings from the item to fall into the heat source, which turns them to smoke, giving the item that familiar smoky flavor.
Broiling is reserved for tender portion-sized pieces of meat, poultry, or fish. The heat is generated from above the item by an adjustable electric or gas source. Conduction heat from the broiler grates is minimal, though they do give the items the grill marks associated with this method of cooking.
Class attendees will learn the following:
- To differentiate between the two methods
- Safety precautions and equipment needed
- Appropriate cooking temperatures for various proteins and meats
- Optional components for this technique
- Challenges and possible pitfalls while executing
- Proper mise en place (preparation) is essential for all cooking methods.